Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
Geo2204
Shanaro
Kavinsky
DeadlyNachos
Detective Zero
Bulldog
Asiimov
Anthony Turner
12 posters

PAC 3 Removal

Poll

Should we remove PAC 3?

[ 5 ]
    PAC 3 Removal Bar_left20%PAC 3 Removal Bar_right [20%] 
    [ 14 ]
    PAC 3 Removal Bar_left56%PAC 3 Removal Bar_right [56%] 
    [ 6 ]
    PAC 3 Removal Bar_left24%PAC 3 Removal Bar_right [24%] 

Total Votes: 25
    Anthony Turner
    Anthony Turner

PAC 3 Removal Empty Re: PAC 3 Removal

Post by Anthony Turner Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:18 pm

Personally, even as a PAC minimalist, I'd rather see PAC stay
    Asiimov

Post by Asiimov Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:34 pm

Honestly guys. This is roleplay. If you can't use your imagination to tell you what a character is wearing, then that fucking sucks. Hindering 30-40 other peoples roleplay time(as in, time on the actual server) by having it crash is just stupid. It takes me personally on average anywhere from 10-30 seconds to connect and get in server, and it's still an annoyance for me. You can only imagine how it is for people like Triangle with 15-20 minute connect times.
    Bulldog
    Bulldog

Post by Bulldog Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:34 pm

See and here's where I can raise the question as to why we have PAC in the first place. We have bodygroup SWATish models (Which are used by FEAR) and then 2013 models. Those two packs have a lot of models and have bodygroups, which you can edit on your own if you have PET. On top of all that, we have the entire TnB megapack, which has enough models to choke a horse. Hell, we even have the beta versions of all the cyberpunk models. Why the hell do we have PAC with all this other content? Biggest complaint: blitz PAC's enough shit onto his base model, which mind you is a normal citizen with no gear to start, to the degree that I drop to 10 FPS from 50.

Please, remove it.

EDIT: On top of all this, again, TnB models are always considered too "tacticool" yet you guys insist on adding MORE onto it.

EDIT 2:
    During peak hours I did a small test.

Looking at Blitz and others while having PAC on:
    https://i.imgur.com/T0voHFM.jpg
    10 FPS.

Looking at Blitz and others while having PAC off:
    https://i.imgur.com/qMUb815.jpg
    40 FPS.
    Detective Zero
    Detective Zero

Post by Detective Zero Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:07 pm

Well, one thing I can say for sure, I've always had terrible connect times when TNB's content is involved.

Now, I don't know how much the models alone are, but the entire megapacks were at best 16-18 extra gigabites. It'd take me ages to get on the TNB servers, and it partially does it to me here.

On other servers with pac enabled, I didn't have much issue with the wait time, maybe an extra 30 seconds or a minute, I don't know. But with TNB content, that instantly boots up to 5 minutes to even an hour dependant on how bad it is or how populated the server is and if the maps cause any crashes between then.
    Asiimov

Post by Asiimov Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:34 pm

This discussion isn't about server wait times, it's about the frequent crashes and how we can stop them by removing PAC.
    DeadlyNachos
    DeadlyNachos
    Admin

Post by DeadlyNachos Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:49 pm

What I suggest we do is take PAC off of the server for a while and test how the server runs without it. No crashes? We leave it off. Still crashing at the same rate as before? We leave it on because there's no point in removing it.
    Asiimov

Post by Asiimov Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:28 pm

Agreed.
    Kavinsky
    Kavinsky

Post by Kavinsky Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:59 pm

I agree.
    Shanaro
    Shanaro

Post by Shanaro Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:19 pm

The crashing issues that PAC3 cause can easily be fixed by making it a flag that only people who've applied can use, it is only when PAC3 is over-used and abused that it can cause crashes. I know this as I've been an admin to servers that use nutscript and clockwork and Pac3 as well.

You guys need to set some Pac3 guidelines, people shouldn't have 50 different models thrown onto their character, it's best to keep things minimum, a model change and a backpack, maybe even some glasses and shit is MORE than enough to represent a characters look.

What happened yesterday was people throwing a hissy fit that we had switched to Evocity, and they decided to use PAC to crash the server.

tldr? Make Pac3 application or trusted individuals only and these crashes will be less frequent.

After the hissy fit people left the server, those who remained (Close to 20) were using PAC minimally with no server related problems.
    Geo2204
    Geo2204
    Admin

Post by Geo2204 Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:19 am

People really overestimate the power of PAC, for what people on the server do it's in no way serverside intensive, yes it can drop FPS significantly if people add to many props, but the server doesn't process that, it's mostly calculations the physics engine has to perform which is likely to kill servers, which PAC has next to none on work that players on this server do.

Explain how Capsadmin can run a server for up to 40 people fucking around with PAC (Who are VERY good, and VERY complex) Without crashes. I've been part of, and ran multiple communities which have used PAC with no problems at all, I really don't see it being a major contributor to the problems.
    Bulldog
    Bulldog

Post by Bulldog Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:10 am

This is why PAC should be removed, people managing to "hack" onto other people's PAC and make them do weird shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ywce7uxnLc&list=UUgwFlSrMBQz_zJ7kwn0z_bA
    Shanaro
    Shanaro

Post by Shanaro Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:49 am

Bulldog wrote:This is why PAC should be removed, people managing to "hack" onto other people's PAC and make them do weird shit.

This is why PAC should be restricted to trusted individuals, because those individuals will end up losing their pac privledges.
    nec
    nec

Post by nec Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:10 am

Bulldog wrote:This is why PAC should be removed, people managing to "hack" onto other people's PAC and make them do weird shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ywce7uxnLc&list=UUgwFlSrMBQz_zJ7kwn0z_bA

That's fucking hilarious not gonna lie.

But yeah, applications would work.
    Greene180

Post by Greene180 Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:01 am

The day I lose PAC is the day I lose faith in all of humanity.
    Shanaro
    Shanaro

Post by Shanaro Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:13 am

Jesus Christ Green that's a bit of an overreaction.
    Michael Scott

Post by Michael Scott Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:31 am

I'll be taking more videos of these strange anomolies
    Geo2204
    Geo2204
    Admin

Post by Geo2204 Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:10 pm

It's really not hard to 'hack', I wont explain how to help prevent some immaturity, but PAC flags exist for a reason
    The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:52 pm