PKs, TKs, PIs, TIs

Fuzzy Wolfy

PKs, TKs, PIs, TIs

Post by Fuzzy Wolfy on Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:39 pm

This topic was brought up earlier today, and everyone seemed to have different takes on how a PK could be considered fair or how to properly enforce one.

Here's my two cents;

Back at TnB, we had this thing called 'equal opportunity PKs', meaning that if you or someone else acquired auths for a Permanent Death (PK) than you would automatically be susceptible to be counter-PK'd. The reason for such was to give PK's more weight and risk - you couldn't just get NLR'd and try again later, you were committed and had to take your actions seriously, including their consequences.

Of course, this wasn't always the case. There were people who, out of their own sense of fairness, simply accepted a PK that was not originally intended to be enforced - people who thought that their character's dying was an important detail for the server and its characters' growth. If people feel big enough that they can do that, so be it. But for the people who's deaths need to be enforced, I think it should work as a double edged sword.

As for Injuries, I have no problem with those. I had my character break her jaw - no one told me that she did, but after receiving multiple blows to the jaw, I decided 'yeah its broke' - and someone told me, after seeking medical attention, that it would likely take an OOC week to fully recover. I accepted, and role played my character being a mute and being unable to eat solid food for a week. It was hard, challenging even, but it was fun.

Any thoughts?
    ZombieMesh

Re: PKs, TKs, PIs, TIs

Post by ZombieMesh on Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:59 pm

As someone who always PKs their character unless it's some random occurrence that doesn't really add to any plot (say, for instance, some random serial killer picks her out of a crowd and kills my character with no personal affiliation to them and no one that knows my character witnesses it), I think you bring up some good points. If a character is known to dish out PKs, they should be Pk'd when they die. 

There's a lot of players who just kill people willy nilly and don't think there's any consequences to their actions. Even if they don't go to enforce a PK, villain/killers should be PK'd if killed if their actions have led to a PK, enforced or not.

Killing and PK should be used to advance character development and the plot. If you're a villain, consider just injuring or maiming or mentally tormenting characters instead of killing them.

Other good ways to spice up RP? Injury and illness. It sure does rain a lot. Maybe RP a cold? Maybe you slipped and fell so your ankle hurts. Who knows!

TyrGodOfWar98

Post by TyrGodOfWar98 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:33 am

I'll say this....earlier today my character Zelig "Hans" Strauss was killed by 'Zoey', Joe, and Emy....I accepted the PK they had tried to enforce, and my Nazist char had been PKed, I completely accept it....but what I don't like is how Zoey whined about being PKed going to the point of calling Agent Rose a jerk because she's enforcing PK rules since I was, and they had killed my literally RIGHT OUT SIDE the DECA Base, with 2 individuals "calling" the Police/DECA and cameras outside the base capturing it....anyways Emy didn't want her char to be killed either so....y'know a OOC fight happened, and shit happened....Joe left immediately after Zoey was PKed.
    the shknifer

Post by the shknifer on Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:07 pm

Actually GodOfWar. You might be happy but 'Emy' My char yesterday got stuck into a asylum so. I guess you got your revenge. I guess I deserved the pk since I supposedly in forced pk to you. But It's kinda unfair, you are treated to be pked back but you weren't the one wanted to pk you. I don't know if you saw my message in ooc, I said "no don't pk him, you could become Zelig 'Hans' Karbunga"The last name was a joke lol but, you know where it goes. I guess we could make a exception for theses people. Anyways, I was getting bored with my child char. I find it repetitive. This is the cycle: "Get kidnapped, cry to deadcruiser, something happens bad, cry to deadcruiser..."

But Other then that, I merely agree with Fuzzy. People that shall ask for auths to pk someone should await the same for them. But, why not this. When you ask for a pk auth for someone, the one killed must say either not to be pked. If he desperatly wants to NLR, don't force him. Lance once killed me and I was crying so hard, he told me that I could void it being my actual character and either pretend it was another random girl. And he was even a admin, he could of just char banned me.

Last edited by the shknifer on Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : FFFF)
    Pixie Replacement
    Admin

Post by Pixie Replacement on Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:14 pm

Whenever someone asks me for PK auths, I always say "During the time, you can be PK'd as well." I'm happy to make this a a real rule (that i thought everyone followed anyway)

Post by the shknifer on Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:16 pm

Pixie what if. There is 3 people, one the victim and the two others killing him, on says pk him and they pk him, while the other say nlr. The one who said he should nlr, will he get pked back?

Steam Profilehttp://steamcommunity.com/id/Shknifzar
    Pixie Replacement
    Admin

Post by Pixie Replacement on Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:18 pm

If he was involved in the PK, regardless of the vote, the outcome means they would be vulnerable to a PK.

Post by the shknifer on Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:19 pm

Alright. I understand. Anyways, I don't have anything to whine for cause my char 'emy' is now in a asylum. R.I.P I've posted a app, no wonders why I clearly decided to get my char pked.

ZombieMesh

Post by ZombieMesh on Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:10 pm

I think discussions between the person PKing and the Person being PKed are important. Like I said, I have a rule that if my character dies, I PK them, but only if I think it adds to the story. There was an incident where Hanna was caught in a crossfire and was gunned down. After some talking, we decided she was pushed out of the way and merely injured. The story did not benefit from her dieing and it was decided that the character shooting her would have taken the time to move her out of the way anyway.

Never be scared to negotiate and don't be too stubborn to not allow a different outcome.
    Bourneco - Retired

Post by Bourneco - Retired on Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:38 am

And this is good. WHY? We need MORE PK's. All kinds of characters walk around with absolutely no threat to their FUCKING lives because their FUCKING fables. I made FSET for that FUCKING reason and everytime anyone in this server does anything FUCKING bad everyone in the FUCKING server goes full-aiden-pierce-hero-anti-hero mode and rushes them.

Cisilia 'Wolf' Longbird | Lycanthrope Sentinel | "Your hopes have become my burden. I will find my own liberation." | http://www.listenonrepeat.com/watch/?v=vR5SdUnARrY

Ofc. Daniel Anvil | Human Cop | "Fockin'... piecea... shite.." | http://www.listenonrepeat.com/watch/?v=IftnwBOlG_M

Lila 'Crimson Rose' Anvil | Augustine Vampire (Adept.) | "Scathing eyes ask that we be symmetrical, one sided and easily processed. Yet every misshapen spark's unseen beauty is greater than it's would-be judgement." | http://www.listenonrepeat.com/watch/?v=359na4NeaVA

'Devil' | Human Anti-Fable | "I'm going to make you SQUEAAAAAAAAAAAAL monster!" | http://listenonrepeat.com/watch/?v=_gJeEnakXr8#t=44

Two things are infinite: the universe, and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the Universe. - A. Einstein.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds - A. Einstein.
    ZombieMesh

Post by ZombieMesh on Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:39 am

Bourneco - Retired wrote:And this is good. WHY? We need MORE PK's. All kinds of characters walk around with absolutely no threat to their FUCKING lives because their FUCKING fables. I made FSET for that FUCKING reason and everytime anyone in this server does anything FUCKING bad everyone in the FUCKING server goes full-aiden-pierce-hero-anti-hero mode and rushes them.

Well, if said Fable kills someone and PKs are involved, then they should be PKd next time they die. That is what this is all about.
    Fuzzy Wolfy

Post by Fuzzy Wolfy on Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:51 am

One way to make openly evil antagonist characters evil is to enforce an equal opportunity PK on whoever attempts to kill them.

It's easy to be a white knight when you know you can try again later, or just continue on with your day if you fail. It's an entirely different story if they're actively told "You know, if you die, it's a PK"

I guarantee... Guarantee... They will either hesitate or back off entirely.
    ZombieMesh

Post by ZombieMesh on Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:00 am

I like that idea. "I kill people. If you kill me, I will die forever. But if I kill you for trying to kill me, you will also die forever." Keeps White Knights in line. 

Rp should have consequence. If your character attempts to kill another character and are caught, they can be Temporarily Killed (as in they can't go on it for a few days.)
    In RPs like HL2, with the Metropolice being very "if you do a crime you WILL be punished severely," consequences come easy.
    But with this sort of RP and FEAR being softened into DECA, it seems like there's hardly any consequences. If you see another character killing or hurting someone, don't forget that there is a police and don't be afraid to bring the law into it. TKs are less harsh than PKs, but still hold some value as a way to discourage constant crime.

Also, don't be afraid to discuss plot with other people. Say you have a villain character and want to do something to cause a disturbance among the people. Talk with some players. They might want to play along to help further their own plots. It's better to ask if someone is okay with them killing their character for the sake of plot than just doing it (not that there is anything wrong with that) and risking drama.
    Bourneco - Retired

Post by Bourneco - Retired on Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:43 pm

Fuzzy Wolfy wrote:One way to make openly evil antagonist characters evil is to enforce an equal opportunity PK on whoever attempts to kill them.

It's easy to be a white knight when you know you can try again later, or just continue on with your day if you fail. It's an entirely different story if they're actively told "You know, if you die, it's a PK"

I guarantee... Guarantee... They will either hesitate or back off entirely.

Not one. Fucking. Bit. I said that anyone who died by my groups hands would die. Entire squad of cops, one civie and another cop jumped on me. Instantly.

Cisilia 'Wolf' Longbird | Lycanthrope Sentinel | "Your hopes have become my burden. I will find my own liberation." | http://www.listenonrepeat.com/watch/?v=vR5SdUnARrY

Ofc. Daniel Anvil | Human Cop | "Fockin'... piecea... shite.." | http://www.listenonrepeat.com/watch/?v=IftnwBOlG_M

Lila 'Crimson Rose' Anvil | Augustine Vampire (Adept.) | "Scathing eyes ask that we be symmetrical, one sided and easily processed. Yet every misshapen spark's unseen beauty is greater than it's would-be judgement." | http://www.listenonrepeat.com/watch/?v=359na4NeaVA

'Devil' | Human Anti-Fable | "I'm going to make you SQUEAAAAAAAAAAAAL monster!" | http://listenonrepeat.com/watch/?v=_gJeEnakXr8#t=44

Two things are infinite: the universe, and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the Universe. - A. Einstein.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds - A. Einstein.
    Fuzzy Wolfy

Post by Fuzzy Wolfy on Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:33 pm

Make yourself a bigger threat, then. Or a smaller one, depending on the circumstances.

It isn't just about being able to talk the talk, you have to be able to make an example of what will happen - and then prepare yourself for the inevitable backlash, both ICly and OOCly.

If you have the means to defend yourself and you play intelligently, people will learn not to just throw themselves at you screaming "HAVE AT THEE" 

It's also important not to just declare your intentions to everyone, then you're just asking for trouble.

Edit:
    I know this is possible because antagonists have been and are being worked on for a while now, and they've just been laying low. They've killed when the need arose, but the most they've been doing so far is plotting and preparing.
    Bourneco - Retired

Post by Bourneco - Retired on Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:35 pm

Fuzzy Wolfy wrote:Make yourself a bigger threat, then. Or a smaller one, depending on the circumstances.

It isn't just about being able to talk the talk, you have to be able to make an example of what will happen - and then prepare yourself for the inevitable backlash, both ICly and OOCly.

If you have the means to defend yourself and you play intelligently, people will learn not to just throw themselves at you screaming "HAVE AT THEE" 

It's also important not to just declare your intentions to everyone, then you're just asking for trouble.

Edit:
    I know this is possible because antagonists have been and are being worked on for a while now, and they've just been laying low. They've killed when the need arose, but the most they've been doing so far is plotting and preparing.
    When you try and be a 'bigger threat' everyone goes 'Oooh, you're asspulling and blah-blah-blah'

ZombieMesh

Post by ZombieMesh on Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:56 pm

I think it's a problem between not seeming to be a bigger threat and the high population of white knights. 
    A lot of people have figured out that the only good way to be an antagonist is to either be over-powered enough to be able to take on more than one person or work in a group so you can deal with more people at the same time.
    Fuzzy Wolfy

Post by Fuzzy Wolfy on Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:52 am

Or work underground.

Like I said, if you don't announce your intentions, white knights are left in the dark - and it's pretty easy to manipulate them, in theory.
    Bourneco - Retired

Post by Bourneco - Retired on Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:34 am

Fuzzy Wolfy wrote:Or work underground.

Like I said, if you don't announce your intentions, white knights are left in the dark - and it's pretty easy to manipulate them, in theory.
    AND WE NEVER FUCKING ANNOUNCED OUR INTENTIONS. EVERYONE. And I mean EVERYONE. Regardless of what REASONING we gave wanted to absolutely fucking MAUL us the moment we moved on ONE FUCKING FABLE who was in contact with only ONE OTHER FUCKING PERSON. They just ASSUMED that we were GOING FOR THAT PERSON. And MAGICAL vampire powers allowed that FUCKING WHORE to fucking attack us without even FUCKING SEEING US. !!!VAMPIRE'S ARE FUCKING META-MAGNETS!!!

ZombieMesh

Post by ZombieMesh on Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:24 am

Doesn't do any use complaining on this thread. If there's a problem with meta or something, bring it up with an admin.
    the shknifer

Post by the shknifer on Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:54 am

Bourneco - Retired wrote:AND WE NEVER FUCKING ANNOUNCED OUR INTENTIONS. EVERYONE. And I mean EVERYONE. Regardless of what REASONING we gave wanted to absolutely fucking MAUL us the moment we moved on ONE FUCKING FABLE who was in contact with only ONE OTHER FUCKING PERSON. They just ASSUMED that we were GOING FOR THAT PERSON. And MAGICAL vampire powers allowed that FUCKING WHORE to fucking attack us without even FUCKING SEEING US. !!!VAMPIRE'S ARE FUCKING META-MAGNETS!!!
    If you're raging because a vampire stole your donut or you did a MLP overdose.
    Please either bring it to /pm, either of //....

This is getting irratating as this is not a rage forum it a place to post suggestion and this is a suggestion, if you're not happy then just talk to a admin if someone is meta'ing.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:41 am