Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
FrBertrum
Viscus
6 posters

RP Conerns

Viscus

RP Conerns Empty RP Conerns

Post by Viscus Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:07 am

So - this isn't as much as a "complain" thread or "this server sucks" thread, I just wanted to point something out here.

The server is stated as realistic RP.

The server roleplay theme is Mythical Creatures.

No problem with being able to roleplay seriously on a server like that.

The issue is that people don't roleplay how they should.

For example

Military / Police Roleplay

- Police don't arrest or interrogate suspicious individuals ( Shady people with hoods on 24/7, black clothing, gang related people, etc.)

- Police don't wear correct uniform ( Not saying this has to be exact, a lot of police wear MILITARY gear, helmets, kelvar vest, the entire 9 yards, flashbangs, automatic rifles, etc. )

This would make sense if there was a riot, or a shooting, and some similiar dangerous event that requires gear with that level of protection. IRL police policy would not let ANYONE wear this under normal circumstances. ( Unless you want to do it by rank )

- Police don't even attempt to do ANYTHING with players that walk around with absurdly huge guns, m60's, shotguns, assault rifles etc.

Military -

There are players that ARE military, they are NOT apart of the police force.

- They shouldn't be IN the area unless they HAVE a LEGITIMATE reason, if they are retired, that's one thing. You still don't walk around in full military gear. Unless something requires military force or presence, they shouldn't be geared up walking around.

I understand all players do things differently, and it is a ROLEPLAY server, meaning you can roleplay w/e you want, how you want. This is a realistic server, meaning things would NOT happen the way they do currently.

It is understandable for military or police having military gear for encounter with fables, but other then that there shouldn't be a reason.

Vampire / Werewolf RP -

I don't have a Vampire or Werewolf, so I'm not entirely sure how they roleplay it.

I haven't been attacked once by a Werewolf or Vampire. ( Doesn't need to happen, expect it to happen though, they need blood, werewolves go feral - I understand feeding is an OOC thing, but doesn't mean they can't ICLY feed on someone )

I've seen vampires walk around in daylight, which stated according to the type, and rank, they still shouldn't like it, and should take cover.

I expected vampires to behave more like vampires, dark, mysterious and blood thirsty. The ones I have seen played like normal humans, with supernatural strength and speed. ( Not all of you, mind you )

I have not seen many werewolves, so I can't really say much about it.

According to what I have seen, the vampire vs werewolf thing should be going on. ( should, saw something on the forums. )

Human roleplay :

I've seen A LOT OF PLAYERS with GUNS, this goes for vampires, werewolves and anything else. I understand normal guns, such as pistols, some shotguns and rifles are able to be bought realistically in real life.

I have seen players with various degrees of weaponry, anywhere between a pistol, or a military grade m60.

A lot of players are armed, it shouldn't be this way. ICLY they should have to go through the police department to get a gun ( currently ) or buy it through a BMD. ( Which neither should work, because we HAVE NO MONEY, unless you donated. There needs to be some form of money floating through, not invisible IC cash ) I understand police and military automatically get guns due to their role.

Also note the amount of armed, white knights ( players who help defeat the bad guy, even if it is against them, just because they wanna do something good or take a guy down ).

If a bad guy goes and robs the bank, you don't have civilians up there with shotguns and 50 cal's trying to stop him. You would NOT do that as a civilian, that's why we have police.

Most of the time players sit around and talk to eachother, waiting for some event to happen, or an event / monster to come kill them. That's fine, but they never really do anything... "Normal".

Normal as in - roleplaying needs, bathroom, food, jobs, realistic things. I understand players don't have to do this, but I haven't seen any that do.

Honestly, I'm not trying to bash on anyone or the server, I just wanted to throw this out there and see if anyone else felt the same way.

In HL2 RP - The combine players strictly had a set of rules to go by, due to them being the police and having higher power above players. Needless to say, all the combines generally acted the same, and played the role they were suppose to. 

TL;DR

When you get in a roleplay situation, ask yourself what you would do yourself realistically IRL, and compare it to what your character would do IRL. ( Compare it realistically to a RL situation, not over the computer. )
    FrBertrum

RP Conerns Empty Re: RP Conerns

Post by FrBertrum Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:24 am

Yeah I only just joined and started up a Catholic Church here. I've seen nothing but people walking around the main downtown area of the City with military grade weaponry in hand, on their backs, whatever with Law Enforcement doing absolutely nothing. It's absurd, and also, I've seen nothing but people constantly shooting their firearms and jumping around aimlessly.
    Viscus

Post by Viscus Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:25 pm

Not that it matters, but most of the vampires are also females, for w/e reason.
    FrBertrum

Post by FrBertrum Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:26 pm

Im just tired of the guns...
    Kurogane

Post by Kurogane Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:09 pm

Viscus wrote:Not that it matters, but most of the vampires are also females, for w/e reason.

Who gives two flying fucks what people decide to make their characters as?

I have a male Vampire, but who cares if people decided they wanted to make a bunch of female Vampires. Talk about complaining just for the sake of complaining.
    Viscus

Post by Viscus Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:15 pm

You're a salty sailor, don't come in here with yer' cussin n stuff.

I think guidelines or.. *gasp* rules - would help roleplay better for every race anyways.
    FrBertrum

Post by FrBertrum Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:16 pm

This isn't just about vampires, stop focusing on one aspect of his post, there are also other points made which are very decent and should be discussed, like the ridiculous gun situation.
    Kurogane

Post by Kurogane Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:59 pm

FrBertrum wrote:This isn't just about vampires, stop focusing on one aspect of his post, there are also other points made which are very decent and should be discussed, like the ridiculous gun situation.

Honestly? the "ridiculous gun situation" is easily explained by the lore in which  a) The people of Los Angeles just escaped some lovecraftian nightmare goo and b) Prior to that, much of the civilized world completely collapsed into Fable Race Riots, so that is why DECA look militarized and why people have the guns they do. 

-Police do interrogate suspicious individuals, I fuckin' know, I was one of em'. Got backed into an alley by 2 DECA Officers just because I looked sketchy when I went the opposite way of em.
    -DECA Do wear their correct uniform.
    -DECA were actively confiscating weapons in Los Angeles last I saw...But again, Lovecraftian Nightmares.

Military:
    -I know fuck all bout these players, they weren't really around in Los Angeles AFAIK.

Vampire RP:
    -You see them walk around in daytime on the current server because the current map doesn't exactly do day/night well. Just ask OOC what time it actually is IC.
    -I've seen Vampire's feed, but most of the time it is on individuals willing. Since Fables were granted rights, I was under the understanding that vamps are basically provided with bloodbags to survive on.
    -I'm sorry reality does not meet your expectations and that we are all not one collective walking stereotype.

Human RP:
    -Alot of states have surprisingly lax gun laws, and alot of those lax gun laws were likely made even laxer due to collapses in government and law enforcement during the riots. DECA Confiscated weapons in Los Angeles, but again, Lovecraftian Horror Goo. I assure you, any gun which the people are walking around with you can realistically buy in real life. There is always a way, you just have to find a way. There are people in my glorious state of Oklahoma, for example, that own .50 Cal Machine Guns and Barret .50 Cal Sniper Rifles. 

Since we are currently in Georgia, I refer you to Georgia State laws:
    Any person who may legally own a firearm may carry a firearm in their home, place of business, and vehicle without a permit. Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a long gun without a valid weapons carry license, provided that if the long gun is loaded, it shall only be carried in an open and fully exposed manner.(O.C.G.A. § 16-11-126 (b))
    State preemption laws prohibit localities from regulating the ownership, transportation, and possession of firearms. Georgia also has a law preventing localities from enacting ordinances or lawsuits to classify gun ranges as nuisances. Georgia law allows private firearm sales between residents without requiring any processing through an FFL.

This means in the state of Georgia, you are allowed to walk around with a Rifle (As in an AK-47, M16, etc, etc) without penalty of the law. A rifle is a long gun.

- To your point about 'going through the police', wrong and 'BMD', sorta correct sorta wrong. In good old Georgia you can buy assault rifles from a random guy no problem or from a gunstore, no problem. Likewise, there are ways to make money in the server besides donating, you just have to ask about them. Someone told me you can make money by doing jobs. Yep.

- To your point about armed citizenry stopping bank robbers? That depends pretty much on the state of affairs. The whole purpose of Georgia's Gun Laws being the way they are is essentially to actively stop crime. Likewise, Georgia has Stand Your Ground Castle Doctrine with no duty to retreat that authorizes you to use lethal force in the protection of yourself, others, your property, or other's property. So yep.

Nobody wants to roleplay using the bathroom, I was invited to dinner to someone's apartment once, and stood about in an alley once shooting the breeze with the owner of some bar in Los Angeles.

No one is addressing your complaints because they are all hilariously invalid. 

If you're going to complain about the law being enforced, at least learn the laws of a particular State before complaining that it is unrealistic.

Edit:

Oh, regarding the M60? I doubt there is anyone walking around with an M60, but...

http://www.gunsamerica.com/979923627/Springfield-Armory-M60-M60E3.htm

You to could own one for the low, low price of $5,000 lol.

$5,000 to steep? How about a little over $1,900 with http://www.armslist.com/posts/460668/texas-nfa-firearms-for-sale--wts--4-1419a-saco-defense-maremont-corp--m60e3-7-62x51mm-belt-fed-machine-gun

Yep.
    Fuzzy Wolfy
    Fuzzy Wolfy

Post by Fuzzy Wolfy Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:46 am

The name of the game is 'circumstances', friends.

DECA is a militarized group funded and backed by the government to deal with Fable-related incidents that regular Law Enforcement agencies are not equipped and/or trained to deal with. They armed to the teeth because most Fables are capable of causing much more damage than regular men and women can, hence, they need to have the power to take these threats down. Consider FEAR/DECA to be your 'updated' police force, though normal police officers do exist - though barely any of them want to trot around in a meager thorax-only ballistic vest in a city full of Fables.

As far as suspicion goes, no one outside of North Korea can be arrested for being 'suspicious' unless they are BLATANTLY trying to make themselves look like a suspect for an already occurring crime. I can walk outside with a balaclava and hoodie and the police cannot touch me unless they have a warrant for my arrest - however, if I start to sneak around an elementary school like a sleuth and keep a hand stuffed in my jacket as though I had a gun, then people will have the authority to deal with me.

As far as arresting people with weapons go, there are existing laws that allow concealed/open carry of weapons - and with the introduction of Fables, yes, people will generally carry their weapons with them for self-defense.

Now onto Vampires and Werewolves; it's usually agreed that the IC time for the server is typically night time, roughly. Why? Well, because not everyone here has the same timezones, and it'd be pretty unfair and boring if people who weren't on at the right time were handicapped because of it.

Viscus wrote:I expected vampires to behave more like vampires, dark, mysterious and blood thirsty. The ones I have seen played like normal humans, with supernatural strength and speed. ( Not all of you, mind you )

They are normal people. It's a modern setting.

As far as Human role play goes, no one wants to RP going to the bathroom. Congrats to those who do, I applaud their dedication to realism and the level of detail they put in their roles, but the majority of people who Role Play do so to escape their IRL status quo. They Role Play someone they are not and thus adopt an identity that differs from their own, usually something badass or satisfying in any number of ways - role playing as a woman, often provides that satisfaction whether it be for the sex appeal or to simply switch gender identity.

As far as jobs go, yes, people do sometimes role play their careers - but only if it's interesting. No one I know wants to role play a deskjob... They might role play as someone who works a deskjob, but rarely will they ever join the server only to sit behind a desk for however long and role play by themselves.

And guns? Well, every Gmod RP has guns, or items - be it IC or scripted - that people want. Development and the acquisition of a fortune is what pretty much everyone strives for in a general sense. S'kinda to be expected. It sucks for the Average Joe to own guns, sure, but the majority of them have acquired them through IC means, be it DECA, the Blackmarket, or just robbing someone.

I do agree with most of your standards, but they're very static. Gotta' look at the big picture.
    Shanaro
    Shanaro

Post by Shanaro Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:07 am

most vampires on the server are relatively new in terms of their creation, I know plenty of vampires that act a bit blood crazed and antgonist and you know what happens to them? They get shot the fuck down rather quickly..

Now, if a vampire has more chances of surviving if it behaves more like its prey, then I can see why vampires would behave this way, as if they behave any otherway everything on the server takes a shit down their throat.

Also, I created a guide for vampires, demons, and magick users, angels will be coming out soon, if you guys want a lycan guide, I can swing that to, but as it is there is enough information and rules about these races that people can't complain about a lack of them, especially considering I've been working my butt off getting these complicated and detailed guides out so that people do have a refrence.
    Absinthe
    Absinthe

Post by Absinthe Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:19 pm

The only roleplay server I have ever been on where you people ACTUALLY did fake jobs was Black Mesa Roleplay and that was because the roleplay revolved around you doing a somewhat regular day desk job, that involved science. But the server has people who play doctors, own bars, hunt fables, enforce the law, sell books, sell guns/nicknacks or whatever.

I mean, I will say it, ever since the map change things went different and in a good way. You could of said this before on the old map, but now at this stage, we have a lot of things that we were missing before. The server has more players then I've seen before, it usually caps off at 40, but still it's quite an achievement in my eyes. I don't think the server is doing all the right things, because no server can, it's just not possible unless you have a team that dedicates their entire lives to this product.

The server can get better then it is already and so far it is, Shanaro's starting to crack down more somewhat on fables and we're becoming rounded as a playerbase. More negatives are being placed in to combat the positives of various gifts or skills. Being ridiculously strong as a character has the massive lash back of you being attacked OOC'ly for said strength, so as many have said, it's so much better to just roleplay as a median level or slightly above median character then something very strong.
    Kurogane

Post by Kurogane Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:25 pm

jray123321 wrote:We aren't complaing about owning military grade weapons but their is people that litterly fucking walk around with them.

Which is 100% absolutely legal in the State of Georgia.

"Georgia‘s Open Carry law, allowing people to carry loaded weapons, including assault rifles, around with them went into effect yesterday, July 2, 2014."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:11 am