Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
Roby the Balkan Hoplite
IcedMuffin
Bulldog
Swagile
Darky
SkellyBeans
Bourneco - Retired
ferrick
12 posters

The New Map

ferrick
    ferrick

The New Map Empty The New Map

Post by ferrick Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:31 am

Now I know people are upset and torn about the new map being necro evo city. I do not really care either way, but I think torrington or another map would be a much better option and I'll explain why.

With the max number of players currently set at 40 players, a map such as evo city is general expected to cover more than double that, the map itself will be quite scarce. While I understand vehicles were going to be an added perk to the usage of this map. However, in my long time experience in gmod rp since 2008, I've noticed vehicles never, ever, ever work out. It entices minging and people cry when they get run over or even damaged from getting hit. Having a car does not add much, if any RP. No one will RP driving around and if so, it'll consume about 20 minutes of real life time before it gets boring. Apart from the cars, those who don't have them, won't want to have to walk from spawn all the way to the housing section beyond the motel, for a five minute meeting with someone who either has to go or times out by the time you get there, which takes longer than five minutes in and of itself. There are plenty of maps that work a lot more magic into a lot smaller maps. I understand that the verticality of city 8 posed challenges with RP getting mixed up with other nearby RP, but choosing one of the biggest most expansive maps in the game is not the answer. I honestly feel the size will be detrimental because people will not want to run around looking for roleplay, especially when it's hard enough to find with everyone hanging in behind closed doors.

Another notion someone brought up was that the city was going to be forbidden for fables to come into, which is an interesting concept, but it does not work in favor of what the server is trying to promote. The server quite literally promotes the idea that a new player will either be able to apply and rp as a vampire or rp with them as a human. Having segregated zoning on a map so large will only result in the entire spawn city being a ghost town. No human is going to want to hang around when all there is to rp with is other humans and it's the same for fables, they won't want to risk getting detained or killed for walking into a place that has just as much to offer as the outlying areas do.

I'm not particularly familiar with Torrington, but I know there are better maps out there and when I take a good look around for myself, I'd be glad to repost some, but I'd like some other opinions on this. I know a lot of people were upset when the map switched over, but if we can keep this going as a serious commentary, I think we should be able to resolve it as a community fairly quickly.
    Bourneco - Retired
    Bourneco - Retired

The New Map Empty Re: The New Map

Post by Bourneco - Retired Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:49 am

We really need something better than Torrington. I can't even see half of the shit.
    ferrick
    ferrick

Post by ferrick Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:55 am

Someone suggested one of the downtown variants, which may not be a bad idea.
    I'm willing to look back at the old favorites like city 45 variants or city 17 or 18 maps. They may be overplayed and whatnot but they are good, accommodating maps, especially for the size of our playerbase. evo was too big, torrington is like a bad port.
    Bourneco - Retired
    Bourneco - Retired

Post by Bourneco - Retired Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:16 am

Torrington is really. REALLY. Bad. In order to play on it I have to get content, which I cannot even install without my GMod crashing and taking STEAM down with it. I'll search the workshop for one.

EDIT: MAPS I FOUND ON FIRST RUN: 
    rp_chaos_city_v33x_03 (MY MOST FAVORITE)
    gm_Shambles_day
    rp_genova (MY LEAST FAVORITE)
    rp_coast_03_fix
    rp_city8_outlandstest
    gm_Valley
    gm_bigcity
    rp_fs_coast_07_003_pak
    rf_silenthill (Silent Hill Map)
    RP Ineu Pass

Last edited by Bourneco on Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:35 am; edited 3 times in total
    SkellyBeans
    SkellyBeans

Post by SkellyBeans Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:24 am

Torrington really is a bad port. That's as much as there is to say about it. City 45/17/18 maps might be overplayed but they're overplayed because they're good maps, as ferrick said. Torrington just isn't any good at all. Anything but Torrington.
    ferrick
    ferrick

Post by ferrick Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:37 am

I still think Silent Hill is a really good map for what we're going for, some might argue its too small and too foggy though.
    Coast is too linear.
    Big city is too big and darkrpish.
    Don't know the others really.

If we're looking for a good staging map for the whole "on the run/detained" stage, rp_destroyedcity might be an interesting option.
    Darky
    Darky

Post by Darky Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:39 am

I don't have any problems with torrington.
    Besides the skybox, though, I am not really phased by that.

It's a nice map which could do with some work, but eh, can't complain about that imo.

There may be other maps available, but, whether they are suitable to sustain vampireRP on them, is another story. It needs to have plenty of space for people to roam and support our newest content additions.

Also with this, necro_city is in the content pack. (Whatever idc if i said wrong map name)
    I believe that is pretty good to use aswell, perhaps that could be more of use than Torrington? I dunno, just throwing thoughts around.

- Darky ;D

@ferrick: destroyed city has no areas to sustain economy roleplay when we get it sorted and have proper stores set up and made available. I use to play on it, it does have a few areas, however, all the buildings and fucked up, martial law doesn't mean a war went down, it just means curfews are in affect etc.
    ferrick
    ferrick

Post by ferrick Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:51 am

Dark wrote:@ferrick: destroyed city has no areas to sustain economy roleplay when we get it sorted and have proper stores set up and made available. I use to play on it, it does have a few areas, however, all the buildings and fucked up, martial law doesn't mean a war went down, it just means curfews are in affect etc.

Hence why I said it would be a staging map. Just a temporary map until we get a better one we're set on rather than switching when people complain about one or the other.
    Bourneco - Retired
    Bourneco - Retired

Post by Bourneco - Retired Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:09 am

I absolutely LOVE http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=296403366. (Chaos city.) It's a much better version of Evocity, and it appears fully rendered. Plus, you have places for F.E.A.R. TF to set up checkpoints, infection scans, a main hub for F.E.A.R., a prison facility.
    Swagile

Post by Swagile Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:22 am

NO outland maps, they suffer the same syndrome as Evo. It is too big for the population, aka everyone will always stick to one part of the map and the rest will be unused except for events (which will prob not happen as often as you think they will).
    Bulldog
    Bulldog

Post by Bulldog Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:44 am

I would also encourage people who seem to be complaining about the shift in storyline/focus to post a thread in this section as well (make a new thread) instead of constantly bitching in TS/GOOC/SF.

I also suggest we use rp_industrial. It has a day night cycle built in, is large, has an underground, roads, etc.
    steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=124240579
    IcedMuffin

Post by IcedMuffin Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:14 am

Evocity is too big, "City" maps (referring to maps based off combine cities in HL2) are stupid and unrealistically futuristic, features like Judgement Waivers and so forth are also coded into the map by default meaning if a minge can run up they can simply spam the button and make life a fucking nightmare as we witnessed multiple times on City 8 where immersion was consistently broken. Another issue is the City maps will cause problems for F.E.A.R. as unfortunately for some reason combine doors can't be coded to allow personnel through. Not sure if this can be changed, but I don't want to have to call an admin repeatedly just to enter my own fucking base.

If I really had to suggestion it would be torrington (what we're using right now) or rp_silenthill. I know people hate silenthill but like it or not, it's compact, it's got tons of potential for housing locations and that's what we need. The only negative is fog and daylight and I'm not sure Atmos can fix that.

rp_industrial - no, it's not optimized, it lags, so yeah. Did I mention the maze of alleys and *gasp* combine doors?
    Darky
    Darky

Post by Darky Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:49 pm

I honestly think we need to steer clear of HL2 maps and go with something new and fresh. Torrington is good for now, but eventually, we will need to find a map that supports modern day roleplay in our unique setting, VampireRP where doors can be opened by anyone and supports our roleplay ethics.
    The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
    Darky
    Darky

Post by Darky Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:39 pm

Yep, but this is a map thread haha. There is an economy thread where we are chatting about econ and weapons etc found at: https://bananatreegaming.forumotion.co.uk/t147-economy-of-the-server
    Real_Nirri
    Real_Nirri

Post by Real_Nirri Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:10 pm

Roby the Balkan Hoplite wrote:Torrington is one of the best shitty maps the admins could pick. It's designed as a torn-up zombie city with survival spots. Last time I checked this isn't severance RP.

Not to mention the map itself isn't popular and it has no "outlandish" landscape, it's just a medium sized torn up city.

The new lore is bullshit, here's the reasons:
    1. Humans will hardly, if ever, be able to interact with fables again.
    2. Humans will stay in cities, while the fables will be RDM'ing eachothers in the outskirts? What the fuck is that, really?
    3. What will the hunters do? GO hunt fables in the outskirts? This will cause massive rage and butthurtness among the players cuz muh human weaponry, let's be realistic here, the hunters have an arsenal of weapons to erradicate the fable community.
    4. The only interesting RP will probably happen outside of the city, so almost half of the playerbase will either leave out of boredom or switch on their fable chars, which will fuck up the balance big time.
    5. LAPD's will be some kind of Civil Protection, only that they'll not act so brutal.

There's the issue with guns and armor which I firmly stand by my point: leaving the guns on everyone  will continue to create OOC rage. Everybody apparently have either a F2000 or some kind of rifle from the Stark Industries. Fables have weapons and armor just like the humans, which gives them a far superior advantage cause of their powers altogheter. Everytime LAPD or Hunters come and try to do their jobs, suddently players arrive at the scene holding their guns up to defend muh friends. Of course, when everybody have silver plated pistols coated with vervein and ballistic vests the fear RP becomes meaningless. 

"B-but my character's got these weapons ICly!"

You either got these weapons due to the admins or by buying them with 2000 dollars. 2000 dollars should cost a Katana at least.

Wipe the weapons from the players, but refund the money to the players that bought them ICly, raise the prices of rifles to roughly 10.000 $ and the handheld guns to at least 5.000 $, give people meele weapons, that I can get, and please for fuck's sake stop randomly ass-pulling kevlar, grenades and shits using PAC3 people.

You are aware that. LAPD & hunters no longer exist. Right? Are you even aware of the current lore changes?
    Darky
    Darky

Post by Darky Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:13 pm

You are aware that. LAPD & hunters no longer exist. Right? Are you even aware of the current lore changes?
    Pixie said there are no Lore changes. It is simply advancement in plot and therefore, different things have arised.
    (Fallout occurred in LA and now you are in a war-zone patrolled and ran by FEAR Task Force.)

That is about the only 'change' to lore I can really think of, having the Police and Hunters gone, replaced by FEAR.
    ferrick
    ferrick

Post by ferrick Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:51 pm

Bulldog wrote:I would also encourage people who seem to be complaining about the shift in storyline/focus to post a thread in this section as well (make a new thread) instead of constantly bitching in TS/GOOC/SF.

I also suggest we use rp_industrial. It has a day night cycle built in, is large, has an underground, roads, etc.
    steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=124240579

I completely forgot about rp_industrial, it would be a really good map for this I think.
    ferrick
    ferrick

Post by ferrick Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:15 pm

Also got some other lookers here:
    City17_v1 steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=113352748
    City45 2013 steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=118759412
    Bloc42 steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=104496407
    Apocalypse steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=104522041
    industrial17 steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=124240579
    innercity steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=104523837
    City18_v2 steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=132937160
    Bourneco - Retired
    Bourneco - Retired

Post by Bourneco - Retired Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:03 pm

I absolutely LOVE http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=296403366. (Chaos city.) It's a much better version of Evocity, and it appears fully rendered. Plus, you have places for F.E.A.R. TF to set up checkpoints, infection scans, a main hub for F.E.A.R., a prison facility.

ANYONE LISTENING!?!?!?!? ANYONE!??!
    ferrick
    ferrick

Post by ferrick Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:06 pm

Bourneco wrote:ANYONE LISTENING!?!?!?!? ANYONE!??!
    Isn't that the one we played last night before switching to Torrington?
    Triangle
    Triangle

Post by Triangle Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:00 pm

No city maps.
    Bourneco - Retired
    Bourneco - Retired

Post by Bourneco - Retired Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:59 pm

And no, Ferrick. It isn't. It's a modified and correctly rendered version of Evocity. CORRECTLY rendered and highly modified. It's got an urban, suburban and desert area.
    Bourneco - Retired
    Bourneco - Retired

Post by Bourneco - Retired Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:57 am

Roby the Balkan Hoplite wrote:Torrington is one of the best shitty maps the admins could pick. It's designed as a torn-up zombie city with survival spots. Last time I checked this isn't severance RP.

Not to mention the map itself isn't popular and it has no "outlandish" landscape, it's just a medium sized torn up city.

The new lore is bullshit, here's the reasons:
    1. Humans will hardly, if ever, be able to interact with fables again.
    2. Humans will stay in cities, while the fables will be RDM'ing eachothers in the outskirts? What the fuck is that, really?
    3. What will the hunters do? GO hunt fables in the outskirts? This will cause massive rage and butthurtness among the players cuz muh human weaponry, let's be realistic here, the hunters have an arsenal of weapons to erradicate the fable community.
    4. The only interesting RP will probably happen outside of the city, so almost half of the playerbase will either leave out of boredom or switch on their fable chars, which will fuck up the balance big time.
    5. LAPD's will be some kind of Civil Protection, only that they'll not act so brutal.

There's the issue with guns and armor which I firmly stand by my point: leaving the guns on everyone  will continue to create OOC rage. Everybody apparently have either a F2000 or some kind of rifle from the Stark Industries. Fables have weapons and armor just like the humans, which gives them a far superior advantage cause of their powers altogheter. Everytime LAPD or Hunters come and try to do their jobs, suddently players arrive at the scene holding their guns up to defend muh friends. Of course, when everybody have silver plated pistols coated with vervein and ballistic vests the fear RP becomes meaningless. 

"B-but my character's got these weapons ICly!"

You either got these weapons due to the admins or by buying them with 2000 dollars. 2000 dollars should cost a Katana at least.

Wipe the weapons from the players, but refund the money to the players that bought them ICly, raise the prices of rifles to roughly 10.000 $ and the handheld guns to at least 5.000 $, give people meele weapons, that I can get, and please for fuck's sake stop randomly ass-pulling kevlar, grenades and shits using PAC3 people.

Don't remove players who legitimately use and roleplay their firearms realistically. Remove those who are IDIOTS with them. You don't wave a gun around. I never did unless I was A: In Hunter uniform. B: I was on a character who legitimately could and not be prosecuted. C: I'm on a char who has a giant fucking ego and things no one can stop them. I DO actually agree with the prices!
    The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 14, 2024 12:32 pm