Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Tons of suggestions

ZombieMesh
    ZombieMesh

Tons of suggestions Empty Tons of suggestions

Post by ZombieMesh Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:47 am

Okay, let's get this ball rolling.

Remove punch damage
    Punches that deal damage are basically the bane of all serious rps and the best weapon a minge can get. Combat is rped anyway, so having a script tell you a punch did half your health if basically pointless when you're basing any damage on rp anyway. Plus, punch minging. Minges love punching. Pretty simple.

Gunshots should be IC unless stated by an admin and/or guns fired oocly should be punished unless its for a good reason

My favorite thing to do is walking in on a place, hearing a barrage of gunfire, rping reacting to it, and then getting told it was ooc. Boy that sure ruins immersion. Lah de dah, walking around. Oh man that guy totally got shot up, I better reac- nope it's ooc lol. How many bullets do you people have, and I hope you're not getting refunded for them when you use them. It's abusing guns when you're just shitting around with them. Also, shooting people out in the open around others just for fun and ooc is really dumb. Again, breaks immersion and leaves a mess. Which brings me to my next point.

Don't shoot minges, ever.
    First off, it connects with the previous rule of not shooting oocly, as shooting a minge is ooc. It also creates a mess. But the biggest reason is that it creates a clusterfuck. It encourages minges to keep minging because, by shooting them, you're telling them you care about what they're doing. If you ignore them they'll go away eventually. Or let an admin handle it. If there's no admin on, maybe just propblock them I don't know. Just don't create a huge deal by killing them. Plus, you have a chance of accidently hitting another person.

Make buyable doors or a very low price (like 1 credit). Discontinue having admins naming doors.
    Now, I'm from Clockwork rps, so I'm not sure if this script has the same function. In clockwork, if you bought a door, you could rename it yourself and set permission on it (aka keys). Not only this, but they're lockable! If the script that's currently running this server doesn't have this function, it would be good to invest in somehow getting it, whether its a plugin or not I'm not sure.
    The main problem with named doors is that you can't lock them. And if you can't lock them how are people suppose to know that it is locked? Do people have to ask ooc permission to enter doors? If the person isn't online, who's to tell me it isn't locked? I can literally just walk into apartments and do shit. Who's to tell me not to. Oh, you say it's locked? Let me see logs of it, or else you're asspulling a locked door. With a lockable, re-nameable door, there's no debate on whether a door is locked or not. It's either locked, or it isn't. The biggest problem with lockable doors is that nobody has money so they can't even buy it, and nobody wants to waste money because if the server resets then they don't own it anymore. A way to get around it is to make it free or have it at a low price with the add-on on a low income, which will be discussed later. On a similar note.

Permanent housing is dumb
    Yes, realistically, you buy an apartment, it's yours (unless you don't pay rent) and noone can just own it. Plus, people like to set up their little workplaces and fun obects and decorate. But when there is only like 12 housing options for a server of 20+ people and they're all already taken, that makes everyone else a hobo. I would like to have a house to rp in, says player, but every house is already owned and those people aren't even online to use them. Gee, that sure is a nice apartment. Would be nice to live there. Too bad someone who hasn't been online in days owns it forever. I know with clockwork that door ownership is lost of reset and it might be lost after a certain amount of time passes, which would be ideal. Either that or expand the map to add new housing, which is a lot of work and less than ideal.

Low Income
    "I can't afford a door because there's no way to get money." "I'd sure like to create a sort of economy with shops and such, but nobody has money." It may seem very DarkRP to add an income system, but it's sort of necessary unless you have a constant stream of ways for players to earn money. Servers improve when they have an economy. It can give people goals or make it so non-scripted ic items can actually have worth or prevent people from just asspulling it when they would need to buy it. Plus, doors. Need the moneh for doors. Even if it's just something very dismal like 10 credits an hour, it helps improve the server. If you're afraid of people farming, I know there is script to set afk/idle timers on people so if someone enters an afk/idle state they stop earning credits. If you have doors for like 1-5 credits, then people can actually buy them. Also, if market items are ever added, credits are needed to purchase them and also to make selling them worth something. Which is a great segway to the next point.

Add market flags/items
    I was surprised to find out that I couldn't find anywhere to buy a flashlight, especially with a map this dark. Again I'm used to Clockwork which had it so you could purchase a business menu to buy flashlights and backpacks and paper. Markets are needed not only for the fact that they have useful items just for ooc reason, but they create an economy, which really helps a server. They could also be used to substitute for ic items. Also paper is SUPER DUPER HELPFUL! For one, you can advertise, leave notes, ect. But probably the biggest thing is leaving an ooc note about ic for when you're away. Is your door booby trapped? Well, you can't exactly tell anyone if you're offline. Instead, physgun a note near the door so that when you're offline, people can see it and react accordingly. Plus physgunned non prop items stay even after you leave a server (unless its coded not to? again, not familiar with this script). If not, I'm sure you can add permanency to paper so it only removes itself if it's destroyed or the server resets. Or maybe it already has it, I dunno. But yeah. Markeeets....

Faction doors
    fear door is broke. make it a faction door and give faction permissions so only they can open it, no keys needed. i dunno, HL2RP has that shit use magic and steal it

Forum Enhancements
    This forum is mad ugly and hard to read. I can't read the title of this topic cause its in white in the type box. Easy fix, give backgrounds to posts. White is good. I don't need no fancy white text on grey it just makes anything colored impossible to read.

There is a lack of bananas
    What kind of banana tree are you? Jeeze.

EDIT: WOW I FORGOT THIS ONE
    Make "typing" appear over someones head regardless of whether you look at them or not
    Let me spend five minutes position my invisible cross-hair over this guy so I can check and see if he's rping or not. Or I could just look in his general direction and he that he obviously is. Which one do you think is better? I also know there's script that detects the type of typing going on. For instance "Yelling" would apear over someones head if their textbox had "/y" in it or "RPing" if "/me." Really useful.

Togglecrouch
    Most gamemodes have it os if you press shift + ctrl you toggle crouch on or off. I guess people can just bind it to a key, but you only have so many keys to bind and shift+ctrl feels a lot more natural since ctrl is already the crouch button.

Anyway, that concludes this god awful long list of suggestions for now. I'd like to see discussion. I"ll probably think of more later to torture you with. If you made it this far, have a cookie, you earned it.
    Bulldog
    Bulldog

Tons of suggestions Empty Re: Tons of suggestions

Post by Bulldog Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:01 am

ZombieMesh wrote:Togglecrouch
    Most gamemodes have it os if you press shift + ctrl you toggle crouch on or off. I guess people can just bind it to a key, but you only have so many keys to bind and shift+ctrl feels a lot more natural since ctrl is already the crouch button.

You can accomplish this yourself with console commands. I'll edit this with the binds later.
    Ephrael
    Ephrael

Post by Ephrael Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:15 am

You do realize they got a lot on their plates, right?

Also the housing thing is actually fixable, if you notice someone hasn't been using their home, you can ask admins to take it over. I did it with my apartment. c:
    ZombieMesh
    ZombieMesh

Post by ZombieMesh Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:55 pm

Ephrael wrote:You do realize they got a lot on their plates, right?

Also the housing thing is actually fixable, if you notice someone hasn't been using their home, you can ask admins to take it over. I did it with my apartment. c:

That's what this forum category is for, no? I'm not saying to implement them immediately, its here as suggestions.
    And having an admin change the name of a house only fixes some of the problem. There's still the fact that you can't lock doors.
    Detective Zero
    Detective Zero

Post by Detective Zero Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:02 am

Note: This is a rough approximation of a guide that used to be on these forums.

Tired of not being able to talk whilst crouching? Well fear not! I have a solution.

You're going to need to create three files in your C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\\garrysmod\garrysmod\cfg folder.

These files are:

• autoexec.cfg
    • myaliases.cfg
    • mybindings.cfg

In autoexec.cfg, type:

Code:
    exec myaliases.cfg
    exec mybindings.cfg

In myaliases.cfg, type:

Code:
    alias duck_t "duck_on"
    alias duck_on "alias duck_t duck_off; +duck; developer 1; echo Crouching (on); developer 0"
    alias duck_off "alias duck_t duck_on; -duck; developer 1; echo Crouching (off); developer 0"

alias walk_t "walk_on"
    alias walk_on "alias walk_t walk_off; +walk; developer 1; echo Walking (on); developer 0"
    alias walk_off "alias walk_t walk_on; -walk; developer 1; echo Walking (off); developer 0"

In mybindings.cfg, type:

Code:
    bind "<KEY>" "duck_t"
    bind "<KEY>" "walk_t"

Remember to replace with the key of your choice.

Then just save these three files, restart Gmod et Voilá! 1 custom crouch keybind!

Enjoy!

Copy-pasted this from a thread back in TNB. Enjoy.
    Bulldog
    Bulldog

Post by Bulldog Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:43 am

Here's an easier way to do it:
    bind "-duck ; -duck"
    bind ""+duck ; +duck"

I personally use c and x, since most of my other stuff is taken up with other things.
    ZombieMesh
    ZombieMesh

Post by ZombieMesh Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:21 am

Just bumping this to say:
    Maybe you should fix small problems like these instead of going off and making a whole new thing.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content