Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Conflicting Lore (or lack thereof)

ZombieMesh
    ZombieMesh

Conflicting Lore (or lack thereof) Empty Conflicting Lore (or lack thereof)

Post by ZombieMesh Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:42 am

I problem I sorta noticed recently while rping Annie is that there's a lot of conflicted lore between accepted characters.

The current canon lore has demons written as beings from the demon plane that have no real body. It doesn't explain them as being evil or anything like that. There are simply written as being the source of magic. Their only written weakness is iron or silver, or being damaged enough that they have to return to the demon plane.

Yet, with the introduction of half-angel characters (when angels themselves have no written lore), somehow "holy magic" is becoming the bane of demons. Why is this? The lore does not share Judism as the inspiration of demons. There is no hell in the lore. How is "holy magic" affecting something that isn't itself written to be unholy? There's also powers against "corruption" which has no explanation at all. Some of the people using it don't even know what it means. I thought magic was going to be for Humans only, not every other race besides Vampires and Werewolves. Where in the lore does it say that incantations un-summon a demon? As far as the lore says, only killing a demons summoner or the demon itself causes it to return to the demon plane?
    Also, where are all these "sin" demons coming from? again, no mention of anything specifically religious in the demon/magic lore. The demon plane isn't some hellish place where the corrupt are tortured and devils fly around poking sticks into people, its an unfathomable place of sheer chaos or logic.

Because characters have been authed that go against current canon lore or do not have a canon lore themselves, it conflicts with characters that follow the written lore. People keep telling me that "such and such" affects me or I can't do something, but I'm the one following the written guidelines and they aren't. Your holy sword is suppose to affect me? Why? I'm not unholy. Where in the lore does it say demons inherently are evil? They're just magical beings from another plane that share a name with something religious. And by god, why are there so many magic users, especially anti-demon ones? I thought magic users were suppose to be rare and, if they exist, have to work for the government/ is watched by the government. How is your "holy" magic hurt my demonic character if your magic is coming from the demon plane?

Solution? Stop accepting characters that don't fit into the current written lore, or write lore that connects it with the current lore. Either that or re-write the written lore and cause characters that have been following the lore to become unusable (which would be stupid). Vampires and werewolves are bound by lore, why aren't magic users and demons? You can't create a vampire with wings that shoot lasers, so why are we allowing characters that grossly go against the magic/demon lore?

At this rate, we might as well say the Deep Ones // Old Gods are canon and I can start making shoggoths.

I probably have more to rant about that I'm forgetting, but whatever.
    Jauri
    Jauri

Conflicting Lore (or lack thereof) Empty Re: Conflicting Lore (or lack thereof)

Post by Jauri Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:59 am

I must also say, the lore is a wee bit loony.

The most nutty part being on how fables got rights so damn quickly-- I mean, it's entirely as if women didn't fight for rights for a THOUSAND years, and blacks for relatively as long as three hundred years. Hell, even Gays and Atheists don't even have rights yet. (I say that Atheists don't have rights yet because in Texas and some other states they CANNOT run for GOVERNMENT POSITIONS.)

I just find it odd how it takes HUMANS that long to get rights for each other, but Vampires (who feast on humans), and lycans (who, when feral, attack the fuck outta' humans.), and yet they get rights so damned quickly.
    Fuzzy Wolfy
    Fuzzy Wolfy

Post by Fuzzy Wolfy Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:10 am

My only two cents for this that I feel the need to add is the idea of 'banishment'.

I've got no qualms against Ajuration as a magical school - Abjuration being the ability to ward, banish and/or dispell. However, every magic user I've come across seems to know how to 'banish', and by 'banish' I mean they just wave their hand and make any non-human threat vanish - or at least, that's what they expect to happen.

It's a nice, convenient tool to have when in a sticky situation, but I swear that every event involving a threatening or otherwise non-human character has had at least one magic user try to banish the threat - and usually they do so right away, as in, their first emote is that they start to chant something along the lines of "HEAVEN CASTS THEE AWAY" and regardless of whether or not the threat is of 'demonic' origin, the wizard usually claims that the banishment would still work to a certain degree.

It gets kinda annoying.

@Jauri

it also doesn't help that the 'rights' fables have seem completely unstable. Some fables are more accepted than others whilst some are completely shunned still.
    ZombieMesh
    ZombieMesh

Post by ZombieMesh Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:16 am

I think everyone forgot about this
    https://bananatreegaming.forumotion.co.uk/t305-magic-lore-and-information

You know
    The actual canon magic/demon lore?
    I think even the admins forgot, if they're accepting characters that go against it.
    Detective Zero
    Detective Zero

Post by Detective Zero Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:17 am

I haven't been around much lately, but the days I have been on... I'm wondering similar things, as to why magic is so common-place now it seems.. Makes my application seem rather pointless in some aspects, as I made it to be one of the select few to -ADD- to the roleplay because of its rare diversity..
    Shanaro
    Shanaro

Post by Shanaro Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:32 am

I'm letting everyone know now that Pixie has tasked me with releasing the combat guide, revised magick and demon lore, and all of this is going to be released within the next 24 hours, I blame partially myself for not letting people know that more information on the lore for refrence IS being created.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 5:23 am