Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Demon Lore

Shanaro
    Shanaro

Demon Lore Empty Demon Lore

Post by Shanaro Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:25 am

Demon Lore:

Brief Backstory: Long throughout time, the exsistance of 'holy' creatures and 'evil' creatures engaged in a bloody, constant war has been speculated by many. There are many religions that touch on demons and angels, but none so more than the catholic church. The catholic church is in fact, half right when it comes to battling demons. There are many, many kinds of demons and angels out there, and this guide will only touch on the basic principles that all these creatures share regardless of class. Some religions have sought to map out the kinds of demons there are, and even fewer have tried to do the same with angels, but the fact of the matter most all of them are different, much like every individual person is different. These creatures exsist in a plane of reality above our own, and occasionally, due to a weakening in the veil that separates our worlds (The winter or summer solstice, or oct 31st, believed by witches and mages to be the day our worlds are closest connected), or by a curious but naive mage, there creatures are able to leak into this world.

Demons: Strengths and Weaknesses

Demons are an interesting creature indeed, you can have everything from a succubus, a demon that aids to control and feed off of sexual energy to gain power, to that of a drider, a creature similar to a centaur, only ending up as half spider, half human. The strengths of a demon vary based on the body they inhabit, or the anchor that binds them to this world. A typical demon's strength could equate to the power of a sanguine augustine, while the more powerful ones can even rival a master. 

Strengths: Demons are very cunning, their aim in this world is to feed off of fear and negative emotions, emotions that cloud your judgement and lead to dispair such as pride, guilt, lies, pain, grief, to only name a few. A variety of demons tend to search out innocence and exploit negative events in their life. Like a parasite, once a demon had managed to burrow it's mind into another, they begin to feed off of the negative energy the individual has. The demon can plant seeds of thought into a person they've managed to attach to, furthuring the negative emotions of attitude someone with a 'demon on his back' would produce. In extreme but rare cases, this can lead to a full possession, in which a demon, lacking life and puriety but desiring it, will attempt to take control of an individuals body in an attempt to steal what it has, this ultimately kills the individual who's been possessed, but has been known to take years to accomplish. 

Demons of course aren't limited to only trying to posses an individual to obtain sustance, some demons rely on the greed of humanity, and feed off of the drive that pushes chronic gamblers to risk everything they have. While others might exploit the sexual or curious nature of humanity and drain their target of energy that way.

Weaknesses: There aren't many known weaknesses to a demon, destroying its body is one way to temporarily misplace the soul of a demon, however at this point a demon could just bide his or her time and reobtain another host through corruption of the innocence or already corrupted, one thing that the catholic church has gotten right is the fact that demons are compelled to obey those with faith and conviction. While the church belives that it is the power of god, or his symbols that do this, it is actually the one with that faith whom has the ability to banish a demon, understand that we're talking about true faith and conviction, an average religious joe wouldn't be able to pull this off, especially considering the amount of fear in a person a demon can bring out if they need to, those gifted in the more magical arts are also able to banish a demon back to its world by setting up a complicated ritual (For witchcraft users) or by use of a sealing spell (innate users).

A demon can also be banished if you were to destroy his anchor, every demon has one. An anchor is an object that the individual would keep close, it is in fact the very thing that ties them to the mortal plane, often charged by a mage through a complicated ritual involving the invocation of a demon, if this item is destroyed or damaged it will weaken or destroy the demons hold on the mortal plane, forcing it back through the portal of that which is came through.

Demons have a remarkable resistance against bullets to non-vital areas, however a shot to the head is just as effective as it is with any creature, it will destroy the body and force the soul of the demon to wait for a new host. When a demon enters this plane it can either do so in its actual form or take on the body of a host, however a mage would need to have a sacarifice prepared that the demon could shape into a host, without the sacrifise, a demon being summoned will have to find one on its own, which is not only time consuming, but exhausting as well. A demon without a host body or its own body can only survive in the mortal plane for 3 days. Vampires, Lycans, and those gifted in magic are able to sense the precence of a demon, and seals and wards can be placed on individual rooms or small homes to prevent a demonic inhabitation.
    ZombieMesh
    ZombieMesh

Demon Lore Empty Re: Demon Lore

Post by ZombieMesh Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:31 am

So Demons have to possess humans in order to come to human plane? Or they get human bodies when they come?
    It's not very clear.

Also, I'd spell check this.
    Shanaro
    Shanaro

Post by Shanaro Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:22 am

I'm gonna spell check this but I was a little rushed, already had it thought out just had to type it out.

When a demon is summoned into this plane its often by a mage, and part of that spell is to have a live sacrifice or a dead one that the demon can inhabit, if the demon does not have acsess to this he can attempt to posses someone, most times he can say he just possesed some bloke, it doesn't actually have to be a player, but it takes days OOC to be able to do this, so when a demon is 'killed' they are TK'd for a few days.
    Absinthe
    Absinthe

Post by Absinthe Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:45 am

What about demons representing themselves in horrific form or true form?
    Shanaro
    Shanaro

Post by Shanaro Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:34 am

A demon has a true form that they can utilize on the server but the downside is if their true form is taken out or sealed thats it for the character, however a demon can utilize fear and negative emotions to an extreme enough level where they can APPEAR to be something VERY horrifying, like scarecrow gas, it's meant to disarm the person's mentality so a demon can gain a foothold in their mind and begin feeding.
    ZombieMesh
    ZombieMesh

Post by ZombieMesh Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:14 pm

Having Demons have to anchor on humans and being limited by a human body makes them about as powerful as a novice magic user. Under this lore, Demons are incredibly weak. Their weaknesses out weigh any cool powers they could have. Also, the idea of Demons needing an object to anchor to could be abused badly. Any demon smart enough would just have the item in a hard to find hard to reach place.

I don't support this in being the canon lore. It's not very detailed, doesn't have good grammar or spelling, and makes Demons about as frightening as a inexperienced magic user.
    Shanaro
    Shanaro

Post by Shanaro Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:20 pm

The reason why it's not so detailed is because demons can have a nearly endless amount of powers, it all depends on the kind of demon, however all demons share a similar weakness, and Pixie has to move this so it's not so much a suggestion as it is the actual lore.

Also Pixie doesn't even like Demons so there might not even be a lore on it.
    Mindpower
    Mindpower

Post by Mindpower Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:43 pm

Pixie most likely does not enjoy demons because of how overpowered they can be. They are good event characters and something like well done half-demons or well done succubi can bring out the best of Demon RP. Thing is, people rarely settle with having restricted power and always try to find ways to obtain more and when that more is limitless, it leads to a lot of drama.

Regardless, I find this 'lore' in and of itself rather lackluster and labeling all demons as 'all powerful and infinite in power' is really stupid in my opinion. From my point of view, the demon world would be ruled much like the world was in Feudal Japana or the Medieval Ages, a monarchy with noblemen, councilors, advisers, lords, a king and then peasants and servants(succubi would most likely be servants and slaves to more powerful demons). All demons are not the same, they all differ in power and weaknesses and they all have a broad spectrum of places where you can place and remove power. For example, you can have demons that are almost powerless in the mortal realm and have ones that loose little to no power then. You have ones that would require a complex ritual and the sacrifice of a person to summon etc. etc.

I really think this is lackluster, needs polishing and a whole lot of expanding.
    Shanaro
    Shanaro

Post by Shanaro Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:50 am

What the fuck? First someone thinks they don't have enough power, now someone thinks they're OP, lemme know when someone actually reads the shit, demons are hairy business and if you want to write the 10000+ words that would be needed to really explain them in their entirety then be my guest, I kept it short and open for a reason while still maintaining basic weaknesses that PLENTY of people are able to utilize.
    Absinthe
    Absinthe

Post by Absinthe Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:44 am

Pixie just wants it to stay what he originally wants as vampires and lycans(I assume, unless he actually generally just hates demons/angels.), which is not what everyone wants. I'm just making a promise here, I'm leaving and I assume others will if the whole demon/angel part of the server is removed. I joined when I saw that there was an opportunity for me to create characters I had been writing about in my short novels, characters that I PERSONALLY loved and would of done anything to bring to life. I was granted that opportunity and while I had to change them up in terms of their fine details, it was awesome to play as them.

That's what attracts myself and certain types of people to a fantasy roleplay, the ability to (If you can handle it and if it is reasonable.) play as characters that do not have massive limitations to what they can be. It's why I don't play on half life 2 servers or anything like that because everything is so strict and linear, I hate it with a passion when I go to those places and I am told that I need to be NORMAL and regular like everything else when the last thing I want to do is be regular.
    IcedMuffin

Post by IcedMuffin Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:04 am

Demons are a bit of an oddball mix in the lore, I won't lie. I'm not claiming they're wrongfully placed, overpowered or anything along those lines however if you follow how the server direction has launched so far the integration of 'Demons' in a story or direction that sticks to the more 'humanistic' mutations it seems grossly misplaced. For one Demons just give off that aura and ideology of near god-like immortals with little to no negatives that restrict them, and demons are heavily coincided with the ideology of sin and evil yet looking at the server currently we freely accept them. It's just.. Odd. I don't want to say: "Let's get rid of the concept of Demons completely.", but I don't want to say: "Let's introduce them as regular fables that anyone with enough effort can obtain.". I really don't get a sense or feel that they have enough negatives to playing them. A Lycanthrope has the issue of controlling anger and going on a frenzy, Vampires struggle to control their thirst for blood meaning they need to replenish every so often and Cursed Bloods need to cannibalize to sustain their life. I'm not entirely sure how things are for Demons but it just seems awfully 'odd' to me.
    Shanaro
    Shanaro

Post by Shanaro Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:45 am

A demon cannot enter the plane of mortals by themselves, faith and conviction will drive them away and they need to either posses someone or come in their true form to actually pose a threat, tbh I feel like demons have to many easily explotable weaknesses but I made them that way on purpose cause I didn't want fucking demonic gods walking around on the server.
    Absinthe
    Absinthe

Post by Absinthe Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:48 am

Demons can be warded, destroy with any regular magic, holy magic, faith and even regular bullets. They can be killed by faith and just about all of them can be killed by singular entities, except for Gahl, who for obvious reasons should not be able to be wiped out by 1 or 2 people alone.

Demons also have the unfortunate consequence of being able to be sensed whenever they do anything demonic, up close you can also sense them anyway if you a certain type of fable or magic user who has come into contact with them(Which is everyone.).

Demons need to be strong because the fact is, when they get into a fight, it involves MULTIPLE people. They are antagonistic characters that in most cases, are created for the purpose of creating a REAL challenge to the servers existing characters. They are meant to be strong or hard to kill, because the fact is there's a million white knights walking around with super destructive magic, rifles and super human strength. Demons combat that and present a challenge that even the most powerful of players will struggle to deal with.

A regular demon can be destroyed with faith or holy magic, if you don't have that you can group up and kill it with good old fashion bullets or if you are a magic user you can ward it / destroy it with destructive magic. If you're facing a lord you need multiple magic users, some powerful holy magic or you need to destroy it using it's set weakness.

For my Lord, Gahl creates rules for himself in the human plain and makes it so that if someone regularly completes his tests without dying - he offers them to complete one final test where if they can successfully solve the puzzle, he will submit himself to them for death. All of these puzzles having the possibility of anyone being able to solve them, even a weak fourteen year old child could possibly defeat Gahl if they were to be smart enough to figure him out.

So far there's only like my Lord Gahl and like ONE half demon on server I've ever seen, I've only killed one player in my whole time being Gahl. That half demon I don't think - has even killed someone yet. Compared to a lot of the powerful characters on the server, we do barely anything in terms of damaging players or acting in an overpowered way - it's actually the Vigilantes who are getting the most kills("You did something morally wrong and now I'm going to end your character." "I don't like your face and I'm PK'ing you.").

There's purpose to demons and I've had a lot of people who really enjoyed the events I've done on Gahl as well as other things. As a player, I've also had fun fighting demonic characters and various other beasties on the server, as it felt really cool. It wasn't some stupid edgy shit where people were about to shoot each other up because one guy put  his hand on his gun and someone else spit in your mothers soup. It has honor behind it and people feel good about what they're doing, their characters are doing something purposeful, they aren't acting so edgy that people poke their eyes out looking at them.

The point is that people will face things they personally think are hard to kill, things they don't even think they CAN kill by themselves and that fear, that feeling of despair tries to get fought against their responsibilities - their call to arms. You group together, you plan it out or you just make it up as you go along and you do everything you can to defeat this thing, like how in many games we have all enjoyed - the greatest bosses were the ones  that were hard to kill, that required effort, teamwork.

Would anyone enjoy fighting something if all they had to do is shoot it once in the head and suddenly it's dead? There's no battle in that, you're raising your rifle and firing. Same for magic, all magic users have to do is raise their hand and emit some bolt of electricity or a giant fire ball.

If you find yourself alone with a demon and you aren't strong enough to take it down, THAT IS CALLED LIFE. Some things are too powerful for any one or two people to deal with and if they aren't strong enough to do it, that's not a problem of the person fighting them, it's their own problem.

Some things are powerful, they are hard to kill and that's what makes it so fun. You don't feel bored because you can destroy it without really trying, other then being lucky enough to already have your hand on your gun or to be standing in the right spot. You have to fight, you have to battle and try to survive, every step you take could be your last and you need to decide if you want to put your life on the line for someone else or let them die.
    Mindpower
    Mindpower

Post by Mindpower Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:42 am

What I dislike the most in this lore is the fact you placed all demons in one single group with limitless power. I'm not complaining that demons shouldn't be superbly powered, I'm saying that there's a hierarchy in the Demonic Plains that should be followed. Even Elder Scrolls' equivalent to demons(The Deadra) have a hierarchy of sorts.
    Absinthe
    Absinthe

Post by Absinthe Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:16 pm

Minions (They are a variety of creatures, that can range from various types of hell beasts. Most often Minions are mindless or incapable of their own rational thought.).

Demons (They can range from quarter, half and full. With more humanity, comes more freedom and less influence from demonic lords or full demons, but in exchange they become much weaker. This also includes the Succubus. By default anyone in this rank can command Minions, but obviously a full demon can command a Succubus, no questions asked.).

Demonic Lords (Demon lords are commanders or powerful demons who have earned a title of strength within the demonic plain. They can command everyone below them and any types that are below them.):

Type 3(Officer): The weakest of Demonic Lords, who in some cases could be an equal strength to that of a full demon, they are just thought of as strong enough or intelligent enough to command a legion or two.

Type 2(Captain): They exhibit great power/strength and strong demonic traits, which while in the demonic plain allows them to command multiple legions.

Type 1(Commander): One of the original fallen arch angels, they are extremely rare to come across and some are now long dead. Type 1's get to work directly with Lucifer on occasion or very regularly, depending on what they are and how powerful they may be.

I was non specific with how I wanted to explain ranks in my own words, as obviously demons aren't meant to be too limited as antagonists because everyone has their own approach to them. There are various types and there's a lot of different religious takes on them that can be explored. 

I mean maybe someone wants to roleplay as a minion who is like the warcraft 3 hell hound, maybe someone wants to make Cerberus's cousin, perhaps a player is interested in a Demon Necromancer(Similar to Gahl.) or they want to roleplay as a very odd succubus(I don't know, maybe you want them to have teeth in their vagina.). That's my stance on it anyway.
    IcedMuffin

Post by IcedMuffin Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:58 pm

Well, I'm fine with them in the lore then, but I'd like a proper, indefinite lore with listing of how they act made at some point, I know of the unofficial guide everyone seems to like but I'd appreciate if Pixie could 100% confirm it's correct and canon because right now I simply don't understand what's going on with how Demons work and socially appear in society. I have nothing against them, but I only just got back a few days ago from a 2 week break and I'm completely lost as far as it goes with Demons. Also I can respect you're molding them into a form of antagonist but you need to consider what about Vampires or Lycans at later ages and power? Does that mean even a Master Augustine would struggle with a Half-Demon or Full Demon? It would seem pretty pompous to me. Lower fables in tree, sure they should join hands but consider the stronger ones too, it won't be a surprise if people scream 'Powergame' or 'Bullshit' if their highly experienced fable is incapable of at least landing a hit or two against a low end or even high end Demon.

I'm not trying to suggest we get into a superiority complex here, and I'm not saying Demons shouldn't have a chance, I think speaking respectively for Lycans and Vampires that even a Pup should be capable of landing even a hit or two on a Veteran Augustine and that a lot of it depends on how the combat is statistically RP'd. But I'm speaking from a viewpoint as a Sentinel of the pack that I want to know that I even have a slightest chance of protecting the Pups if we ever engaged, I don't want to feel like the equivalent of a tin can to a metal compactor if you get what I mean. It's also another issue that I've noticed the number of Lycans to Vampires to Humans is becoming a little sporadic, I'm not sure if this is because there's a ton of Demons right now or something but I'd prefer if it's as you say that Demons act as antagonist meant to give a challenge, that we don't have so many in the server since that obviously is only going to lead to discord and controversy toward them since then we'd have no chance at repelling you. I know that there's already a mafia group spawning around Demons and I dread to imagine how well we'd all fair.
    Shanaro
    Shanaro

Post by Shanaro Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:49 pm

The way I had it set up is that Pixie will make this lore, as more questions come up regarding specifics, I'll update the lore to reflect those questions, I'd much rather constantly update something than just throw up a wall of text all in one day that leaves people a tad bit overwhelmed, especially considering covering everything won't actually cover what people really want to know about demons.
    Mindpower
    Mindpower

Post by Mindpower Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:36 pm

Shanaro wrote:The way I had it set up is that Pixie will make this lore, as more questions come up regarding specifics, I'll update the lore to reflect those questions, I'd much rather constantly update something than just throw up a wall of text all in one day that leaves people a tad bit overwhelmed, especially considering covering everything won't actually cover what people really want to know about demons.
    Ah, if that's the case, I'm sorry Shanaro. I spoke too soon even though my points still stand and stand with some importance, I spoke too soon and too harshly without knowing why you made it like that.
    Shanaro
    Shanaro

Post by Shanaro Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:39 pm

Well your points were actually spot on, and I don't know why some were saying your half demon app conflicted with my lore because it doesn't, I made it basic on purpose and plan to expand on commonly asked questions is all
    Mindpower
    Mindpower

Post by Mindpower Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:40 pm

Just got kind of angry because of all the troubles yesterday. Regardless, I'd like to work with you on expanding this, especially because we know eachother for so long. When it comes to demon lore I actually have a 'specialization' per say.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 4:38 pm