Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

With the map change:

Raikmaister

With the map change: Empty With the map change:

Post by Raikmaister Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:59 am

(able to be modified at any time after consolation with admins)

Around six months have passed since the events in LA. The convoy had split up over time to wander where they deemed fit, but currently, we're placed in a small town in Georgia. The only real 'lawful' place would be the main town and train tracks, everywhere else more or less a lawless stretch where DECA/other military may patrol on occasion loaded up for anything. Feral fables, bandits, and cultists are in no short supply.There's also more places on the map for hide-outs to be made/taken over, so hostile factions could be brought in as well..But, anywhere out of town, there's a possibility of lawlessness/assault from hostile fables/bandits. Traders are able to set up shacks/stands in the town, and DECA (or whatever we decide to name the police force, if it at all changes) controls the PD and the garage next to it.
    ZombieMesh
    ZombieMesh

With the map change: Empty Re: With the map change:

Post by ZombieMesh Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:50 am

An entire city population is moved from LA, to Georgia. That's literally the other side of the country. How did everyone not eat eachother? You have a convoy full of vampires, werewolves, humans, and a horse taking a cross-country road-trip together. Also, 6 months? That's way too long of a time skip.
    ZombieMesh
    ZombieMesh

Post by ZombieMesh Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:17 am

As Pixie said, the map is temporary, but Pixie also said that when we change to the new map, the map change event will be the same (not the goo, the convoy). I was going to go over everything wrong with this and the map, but I'll just summarize.

We map switch to a city, but actually we're still in Georgia in a rural town that's mostly lawless and bandits live in the forest.
    Does that make any sense?
    Are we still going to rp it as a rural town?

How to fix this.
    Void everything after the goo event.
    Pixie says he doesn't want to, but I'm willing to collaborate with others to write a new intro/canon. This canon would take into consideration  the new map and also the various types of characters.

It also would be neat to introduce a Department of
    Magical Affairs (I just gave it that name). In the current canon, the government keeps track of all magic users and tried to keep a list of demon legs. So far, they've been non existent and all magic users basically run free. Since the map is new, it would be a good time to introduce them into the server. I'd be happy to write stuff up and help run it with others like Fuzzy Wolf or Shanaro. It would be neat to see the magic government officials in the server. Plus, on the forums where we can see an actual roster of magic users and also info that can be updated. They'd work with DECA and probably share space in the Nexus, if the map has one. Would be neat.

So, tl;dr? If you can't be assed to void it and rewrite it, let others do it so its not garbage. Also, Magic faction would be neat.
    Fuzzy Wolfy
    Fuzzy Wolfy

Post by Fuzzy Wolfy Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:54 am

imo with the whole moving event and all, DECU has been reduced to a joke ICly with no department and no HQ.

Everyone appears to have their own idea on what happened, and most people I've RP'd with have simply opted to act as though no one has seen each other in the past 6 months.

Things aren't exactly very stable, as is. So I'm tempted to support the idea of just... I'unno, doing anything other than rolling with what we've got currently.
    Kurogane

Post by Kurogane Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:24 am

Well, if your plan really is to go from a rural town in Georgia to a city, you could always just claim that everyone ended up in Atlanta once you change the map to a more city based map or whatever. It would be a fairly non-abrasive relocation in terms of how to explain it. lol
    ZombieMesh
    ZombieMesh

Post by ZombieMesh Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:32 am

Except hardly anyone likes the current explanation on why we're in Georgia and its been 6 months. Why would DECa move a city population to a place where they have no power? Why not move them a state over or a city over? Half the characters shouldnt even be here logically. Why would anyone move cross-country when they can just move a state over? Nothing makes sense.
    That's why I'm saying to void and rewrite it. There's already talk of people leaving because of how dumb it is.
    Kavinsky
    Kavinsky

Post by Kavinsky Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:54 am

Zombie, I'm pretty sure DECA was an organization spread out through the whole country, not just.. In L.A. specifically.

Also our numbers have increased a lot since we changed, so, I'm not sure where this leaving business came from..
    ZombieMesh
    ZombieMesh

Post by ZombieMesh Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:00 am

According to the /event, the government doesn't have much power here and most of the area is unlawful territory. And people came on to see the new map, that's how all servers work. change map, suddenly everyone gets on. This will either stabilize or, probably, decline as people explore the map and get tired of it.
    And I've spoken to multiple people who says they're leaving.
    Kavinsky
    Kavinsky

Post by Kavinsky Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:04 am

We switched to having an actual police force and DECA being used for emergencies so we don't have special forces walking around everywhere withe very single conflict being solved in 2 seconds in a hail of gunfire so we can all go home then do it again a half hour later.

-That- was what people talked to me about leaving over. No one seemed happy about it.
    ZombieMesh
    ZombieMesh

Post by ZombieMesh Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:10 am

okay, that still doesn't address the multiple problems there is and that I have posted.
    Kavinsky
    Kavinsky

Post by Kavinsky Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:28 am

Well, we could do it realistically and say everyone went their separate ways, no one gets to play on their characters because why the heck would they be in the same city again?

Servers do this a lot when they change areas to avoid giving a big 'fuck you' to their playerbase and taking away people's characters. We needed a change of scenery, badly, and this was a quick and easy change.
    ZombieMesh
    ZombieMesh

Post by ZombieMesh Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:33 am

Or, OR, an entire city isn't moved across an entire country. It instead moves another city or state over. That makes a lot more sense.
    And we could have done a change of scenery with a map we all agreed on instead of a temporary one, which is unneeded. Instead of having a temp on, we wait till we have the map we want, then switch.

Obviously, its too late for that, which is why I'm saying we should rewrite the canon on what happened after the goo event.
    Fuzzy Wolfy
    Fuzzy Wolfy

Post by Fuzzy Wolfy Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:08 am

Or... And, y'know, bare with me here...

We move to another sector - another part of L.A, because L.A isn't as tiny as our old map made it seem to be - and claim that the part of the city we were in has been quarantined/condemned due to [BLANK].

With that, we have a reason to move to another map - a city map, with housing, underground segments, and not have a forest be our prime attraction. DECA - or another force, if you'd prefer - is still around, and not stranded with limited supplies as I hear they are now (use them for emergencies? They have currently no IC supplies, no government backing, and are now reduced to a small stranded group of agents who escaped with the convoy. There is no more DECA, there is just its remnants). On top of it, we'd have a reason to keep the goo threat, or whatever other threat we want, because we aren't MILES AND MILES AND MILES away, they can still reach us, DECA's goal would then be to contain the threat and keep it from spreading any further.

I'm all for a map change, and even a time skip if you really believe it's critical for the server - though I don't think it is - but this is far too much change and far, far, far too many wildly incoherent reasons for a simple map change. There are so many better ways this could be handled, but people seem hellbent on jumping ahead in our canon for reasons not yet made clear other than "it explains the map change"
    Kurogane

Post by Kurogane Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:51 am

I think alot of the complaining is mostly just overreacting and a lack of imagination, to be honest. No matter what course of action they would have chosen, someone somewhere would have complained about it. I've seen people on this forum alone threaten and say they were quitting forever just because of change x only to end up playing anyways. The event could have been anything and the move could have been to anywhere and someone would have still complained. Yeah, there were better ways they could have gone about it but from what I've seen and heard there hasn't been a huge majority of people complaining about it.

As for moving to another 'sector' of Los Angeles, as someone who has lived in the area you could try that I guess? It wouldn't make much sense, mind you, since from what I've heard about this goo is that it came from some weird rain. In all likelihood a good portion of all Southern California would have gotten the same rain and would have been overrun if the goo was bad enough to make people move and leave from wherever it was that they were. Everything in Los Angeles is packed pretty tight together (and most of Orange County as well) and it's pretty much impossible to tell where one city ends and another begins. In the course of a single bus ride to downtown Los Angeles I drove through over 3 different cities.

If you're going to have some cataclysmic event that necessitates changing to a different location, staying in SoCal really isn't overly viable. As for moving a state over, from what I've been able to piece together from the lore your only option there would have been up into Washington or into Oregon since from what people have told me most of middle-America got wrecked during the whole race riot period of the canon and only the cities on the coasts were relatively stable.  Likewise, moving to Georgia from Los Angeles is only around 1,000 miles or so more than you would travel if you moved to Washington or something.

Now, that adds a new problem. I don't know much about this goo, but assuming it is capable of spreading in a manner akin to an infectious disease or a fungus or what have you, it could have easily spread across the entire western seaboard necessitating a move eastward in order to keep ahead of the looming threat. Quarantine and containment are only so effective and you can easily imply by the fact that six months have passed that some manner of settling down or quarantine was attempted and failed to necessitate a move of such a distance. Operating on the premise that the goo spreads, it can still be a plotline and a threat even if you're in Georgia. But, if containment was a viable option you wouldn't have had to leave Los Angeles at all which means that containment isn't a viable option and if you didn't have to leave Los Angeles entirely then the goo isn't really that big of a deal in the first place.  Course, that is the problem with running events that have a sort of apocalyptic motif about them, you can't just half-ass the danger and say that it only took Los Angeles or it only took a section of Los Angeles. You have to go big with it, really, or nothing makes sense. Likewise, if you have no event or IC explanation at all people would complain that it doesn't make sense for them to have moved.

But if you create some goddamn eldritch horror that is rapidly consuming the entire west coast and has adapted and begun spreading eastward and got stopped by the Rocky Mountains or something for now and you have an actual impending danger and an apocalyptic scale occurrence, that would necessitate the mass exodus of a group of people eastward. Maybe during those six months people did try to contain it, maybe they did move to closer cities but they all collapsed one by one, which wouldn't be hard to imagine since from what I've read most of America was basically devastated by the race riots that happened, and everyone just ended up in Georgia because that is just how far they had to run to escape the threat. 

That said, I have no clue how the goo works or what the goo even is. I'm just going off of information that I've been told second hand due to the fact that this place doesn't have any real log or chronicle to explain what the story is and what has happened so far. There are tidbits on the forums, but generally unless you were present for whatever big event happened there doesn't seem to be a way for people to learn what has happened.

So yeah, just a sprinkle of imagination and I've given a good enough reason as to why six months have passed and why everyone went to the east coast. In the future, I would recommend getting some creative writers going for these types of events so that they are better explained and better handled instead of mystery goo that no one can seem to really agree how big of a threat it is/was/will be and people being confused as to why they moved to Georgia, of all places.
    Fuzzy Wolfy
    Fuzzy Wolfy

Post by Fuzzy Wolfy Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:56 am

Could very well just be overreacting and complaining for the sake of complaining.

But y'know, half my characters now have no reason to be in this sunny forested area. And I've been drafted to play as a bandit and feral Fable because that's really the only attraction to this new 'lawless' area. All of the antagonists are now going to be blatant and unbelievably bland because I doubt a true 'bad guy' would have any reason to come to the middle of nowhere and screw with a few guys hiding out in a suburban town who's buildings already seem run down - from what I saw. Things are going to get boring and repetitive. Fast.

For example; My Drider who resided primarily underground has no reason to have followed everyone out to where they currently are, and even if she had no choice in doing so, she now has nowhere to live in unless I - for some reason - decide to turn her feral. My conjurer no longer has anywhere to hide out because there's only a tiny town comprised of tightly packed hotels with one to two apartments each.

My own complaints revolves around the belief that this map - which Pixie has stated was no more than a placeholder - was chosen purely because it 'looked good' and possibly because it invoked nostalgia. But realistically, it has very little functionality with our current playerbase and the characters they own who're almost all comprised of modern city-dwelling types.

Edit: I'd also like to point out that I'm mainly complaining out of worry that this could be a deal breaker for a lot of people on the server. I like this community, there are some fantastic people in it, and I'd hate to see it become any less wonderful than it was a few days ago.

With people already claiming that they're ready to leave due to, and I quote; Confusing lore, weird decisions, and lastly the map - petty reason there... I think that it's already happening.
    Kurogane

Post by Kurogane Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:56 am

Fuzzy Wolfy wrote:Could very well just be overreacting and complaining for the sake of complaining.

But y'know, half my characters now have no reason to be in this sunny forested area. And I've been drafted to play as a bandit and feral Fable because that's really the only attraction to this new 'lawless' area. All of the antagonists are now going to be blatant and unbelievably bland because I doubt a true 'bad guy' would have any reason to come to the middle of nowhere and screw with a few guys hiding out in a suburban town who's buildings already seem run down - from what I saw. Things are going to get boring and repetitive. Fast.

For example; My Drider who resided primarily underground has no reason to have followed everyone out to where they currently are, and even if she had no choice in doing so, she now has nowhere to live in unless I - for some reason - decide to turn her feral. My conjurer no longer has anywhere to hide out because there's only a tiny town comprised of tightly packed hotels with one to two apartments each.

My own complaints revolves around the belief that this map - which Pixie has stated was no more than a placeholder - was chosen purely because it 'looked good' and possibly because it invoked nostalgia. But realistically, it has very little functionality with our current playerbase and the characters they own who're almost all comprised of modern city-dwelling types.

Edit: I'd also like to point out that I'm mainly complaining out of worry that this could be a deal breaker for a lot of people on the server. I like this community, there are some fantastic people in it, and I'd hate to see it become any less wonderful than it was a few days ago.

With people already claiming that they're ready to leave due to, and I quote; Confusing lore, weird decisions, and lastly the map - petty reason there... I think that it's already happening.

I don't really see the 'people leaving' thing, though. I've been watching the server population pretty much for the past couple of weeks and it had slowly dwindled down to the point that there was hardly anybody on it during the day. At the same time yesterday and today the server came close to, and hit its population limit respectively. If there was a mass exodus of players happening, the server definitely isn't showing the signs of it because so far it has had a consistently higher population for longer stretches of time from what I have observed.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:36 pm