Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+19
Shanaro
piraTe
DeadlyNachos
Nemesis™
Viktor Denisov
Kurogane
ZombieMesh
Detective Zero
Vampyr
ⱴalentine
moosely_mistaken
Major Tom
Swagile
Yøshї
Ephrael
Mayushii
Roby the Balkan Hoplite
Asiimov
nec
23 posters

Magic Discussion

Fuzzy Wolfy
    Fuzzy Wolfy

Magic Discussion - Page 3 Empty Re: Magic Discussion

Post by Fuzzy Wolfy Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:41 am

To be fair, I think the majority of the hate for magic is stemming from the fact that vampires and lycans seem  to have been the focal point of the RP setting.

Granted, I've only been here for a week at most, but that's the vibe I'm getting - people don't want the attention to shift from "Hey vampires exist" to "Look I can snap my fingers and create fire" - which I totally get.

That's why I think ensuring that magic is only a minor role in the RP is important, so it doesn't steal the thunder of being a vampire/lycan.
    nec
    nec

Post by nec Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:23 pm

non physical (visible) magic would be cool. curses, necromancy, telekenesis, mind control and whatnot, not too keen on arcane explosions and ice barrages tho
    Dad
    Dad

Post by Dad Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:53 pm

Maybe curses would be nice... But please dont overdo it
    Asiimov

Post by Asiimov Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:34 pm

nec wrote:non physical (visible) magic would be cool. curses, necromancy, telekenesis, mind control and whatnot, not too keen on arcane explosions and ice barrages tho
    you can only ice barrage if you did DT and have 96 magic...
    RebeccaGrace

Post by RebeccaGrace Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:44 am

Pixie.
    If you are Gonna Touch Magic
    Just talk to me.
    ferrick
    ferrick

Post by ferrick Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:00 pm

nec wrote:non physical (visible) magic would be cool. curses, necromancy, telekenesis, mind control and whatnot, not too keen on arcane explosions and ice barrages tho

Okay so some of that would work, other parts would not. No one is going to be okay with mind control magic, ever. It's cheap shit that can easily be powergamed. On the other hand, telekinesis and necromancy have a lot of potential. I've been toying with the idea that necromancers could bring back PK'd character simply as ghoul/undead servants and slaves. No, they wouldn't be overpowered with retard strength or usain bolt speed, but they'd have a high tolerance for pain and they'd have to follow the will of their master. I'm not sure exactly how you'd want curses to work since they aren't really visible.

As Dad said, we don't want to overdo it or else people will get overwhelmed with all the shit going on that isn't readily explained and/or understood. I think any other types of magic would begin to overwhelm people and we don't want that. You also have to take into account that these need to be well roleplayed, some of which are harder than others to pull off. Healing is another type of magic that would be useful, but as my character Naevala possesses that quality, I can readily tell you it is not an easy thing to roleplay, I've had players walk off thinking it's bullshit that I'm doing magical healing or others that simply thought it was no biggie, as if anyone could have done it.

I think we can keep the focal point on Lycans and Vampires, we just have to treat mages and other possible mythical beings as sub groups, like the vortigaunts to HL2 or the ecologists of STALKER. They can't be vastly populated.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:00 am